Friday 9 March 2012

My Second Deal With God

What Happened Next?

Following the experience I had during the away day part of my Alpha Course, where I had conversed with God, and been filled with His Holy Spirit, I immediately went into the other room, where everyone else was having a cuppa and chatting. People didn't all stop talking and look at me and ask if anything had happened to me, thankfully. I was glad of that etiquette. I just carried on like nothing had happened. Although inside I was dazed to say the least.

My friend Tracey had given me a lift in her car, and when we got back to my house, and were alone in the car, I told her what had happened to me. Blew her mind. She totally believes me, I think.

That evening, I thought, "What am I supposed to do now? S'pose I'd better go to church in the morning for, for kick-off." Trouble is, I'd been planning not to because there was no Hiz Kidz (fun Sunday school) due to half-term, and my boys don't like it unless there's Hiz Kidz. And I couldn't very well clear off and leave them with Rach. So I decided to go to King's Church, which I'd been meaning to do for a while, just to see what it was like. Only now I wanted to go for me, for praying and worshipping and that, not just for a look-see.

Why King's Church?

I'd said to my friend Ellen, who introduced me to King's Open House, the family group I go to in Lordswood every other Sunday afternoon, that if I were ever to go to church, ie for myself, then it would surely have to be King's, because I loved the people I'd met and the general vibe and ethos, and the minister, Simon.

The Deal

So I prayed to God, "God, I want to go to King's church in the morning, but there's no point if the boys are gonna monkey around and distract me the whole time. I want to go for me. Well, for You, Ya know. So here's the deal: You sort the kids out & I'll go." (Slightly paraphrased and humorised.)

The Next Day

We'd at King's Church for a while the next morning, singing awesome songs for the first half hour or so, when I came to realise that my boys had been either sat next to me or wandering around at the back waving these big flags around to the music, and I hadn't once had to remonstrate with them. Odd.

Then, it was time for all the kids to clear off to Sunday school. Ellen asked if my two were coming with her three. They said no way man, but I coaxed them along just to take a look. We went to the younger ones' room first, and I had to work at it to get Ethan through the door just to have a look. But as soon as he'd gone through the door he forgot about me and just wandered in happily and never looked back. Same with Nate in the older kids' room. All of which would never have normally happened - sometimes they don't even want to go into Hiz Kidz at our local church, which they're used to, and know everyone, and love.

Deal fulfilled? I think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment